Friday, October 3, 2008

Hall of Frame(s)

I've been wanting to do some type of picture wall for a while now, but keep worrying that things will look really cluttered. I think my options are either the hall upstairs or the wall going up the stairs. I really like collections of frames when I see them in magazines or pictures, but I'm just not sure I could pull it off. But, I really would like to display the billions of pictures we have (mostly from Portrait Innovations :-)), and would also like to put up some picture of family members, like parents, grandparents, etc.
Sandi and I saw this picture in the Pottery Barn magazine a couple weeks ago and I really like it. I like that by putting all the frames side by side, you eliminate spacing issues, etc. and even though there are lots of different frames, putting them together like this seems to bring some kind of uniformity.
I also like these layering ideas, but I think it would be harder to do a whole wall that way. It would be cute somewhere else, though.
All of the pics above are from the Pottery Barn website, and I also found a cool area there called "Stylehouse" where they have interactive design tools and helpful videos. I found this video (under Video Library click on Design and Style Tips and then scroll down to the New Family Wall) that gave some helpful hints on hanging large arrangements of frames. I'm not sure I would be that meticulous, but a good idea nonetheless. They also have some really cool tools like this "Planning Your Space" workbook and other room design tools. Who knew?

3 comments:

Amy Kate said...

I love the new blog already! I've had tons of frames purchased and ready to go because I want to do the same (mostly with old pictures of my gram and grampa raising my mom and aunt here, and then me and mike raising our girls in the same house/yard/town). We only have one or two spots that will work - one is the stairway from the back door into the house, and the other is the wall when you first walk in the front door. But I freak out at the spacing issues...Great post and ideas, Can't wait to get some ideas and finally get this project DONE!

The Jones Family said...

Haven't posted on this blog yet, but I love it! It just suits you! Thanks for the great ideas - and I too love that frame wall going up the stairs. That looks awesome... but it is Pottery Barn, what do you expect... :)

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures on the stairway idea! Ruth