Saturday, June 6, 2009

Now Blooming: Peonies (Finally!)

peony collage

I've always loved peonies, and when we moved into our house, we transplanted a couple of bushes (?) from my aunt. They came up the next year, and the next, but hadn't bloomed until this year. Yay!

I've been watching, watching, watching in anticipation. It looks like one is really light pink/yellowish (far right) and the other is going to be really big pink blooms.

I was also wondering the significance of ants helping them bloom. You can read more about that here.

3 comments:

Christina said...

wow! Absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful pictures and I LOVE the way you did the time progression from bud to blossom. I thought about doing that this year, but it was too late--ours had already bloomed! Peonies are by far my favorite. I especially love the hearty pink ones. So pretty! I really wish they lasted all summer!!

Ruth said...

Beautiful pictures! I too love peonies!! Alas, I don't have any in my yard. Maybe I will have to plant some this year. I didn't know it will take a few years before they will bloom. I love the pink one with the yellow middle! Love, Ruth

Erica said...

Gorgeous! Peonies are one of my favorite flowers too. If we were staying here, I think I would plant a few more in our garden. I, also, wish they lasted all summer.

Love,
Erica