Friday, October 30, 2009

Fall Recipe Series: Chicken Enchiladas

My husband and I came across this recipe when we were first married. We were looking for something festive to cook for Cinco de Mayo, and these enchiladas did not disappoint. We found it on the Food Network website, and it's still posted here. Doubling and freezing it works well also; I've even quadrupled it before (couple for us, couple for friends). Just make sure you have a huge bowl for all the mixing! (Pics below are from a quad batch.) I have also used canned, shredded chicken and that works great as well.

If you're feeling really adventurous, try Fried Ice Cream for dessert. We also made that along with this recipe originally. It's a little bit of work, but fun and tasty.

Enjoy!

Chicken Enchiladas

(recipe taken from the Food Network website)

Ingredients

4 oz. cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup sour cream

2 cups prepared salsa

2 cups grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese

2 cups shredded cooked chicken

1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

Salt and pepper

4 scallions, thinly sliced

12 to 14 soft round 6 to 8-inch flour or corn tortillas

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Directions In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and the sour cream. Stir in 1/2 cup of the salsa. Stir in 1 cup of the grated cheese. In a second bowl toss together the chicken, the corn, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper, and 1/2 of the scallions. Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.

In a baking dish spread a 1/2 cup of the salsa over the bottom. Place about a 1/3 cup of the filling on a corn tortilla, roll up and transfer to the baking dish with the seam side down. Repeat process for remaining tortillas. Pour remaining salsa over enchiladas, spreading to coat all of them. Sprinkle remaining grated cheese over the top. Enchiladas may be prepared up to this point 12 hours in advance. Transfer to preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until hot and bubbly. Enchiladas may be reheated, covered with aluminum foil, before service. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve warm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have succeeded in making me hungry (like I needed any incentive -- haha). That looks absolutely delicious. As soon as I put this south beach diet behind me, I'm gonna give that a whirl. Bet it smells delish!

Christina said...

F-i-n-a-l-l-y I'm able to comment! Our computer has been having some problems and keeps timing out on me, whether it be when I'm trying to leave a comment or jump on FB (gasp!), but I haven't been able to communicate well this week. Anyway,
THANK YOU for sharing this! You made these when we came to visit over Memorial Day and just looking at the pictures and remembering them is making my mouth water! YUM! I can't wait to try them!